Gerard Mercator's great world map of 1569 was condensed into double hemispherical form by his son Rumold Mercator. It first appeared in 1587 and was incorporated into his long-lived and influential Atlas from 1595 to 1602. Mercator was the first to make a distinction between North America and South America. The engraving is a model of clarity and neatness, with typical cursive flourishes to the lettering of the sea names. Surrounding the hemispheres is a strapwork border; between them at the top is an armillary sphere and at the bottom an elaborate compass rose. Artwork recreated as framed handmade leather pyro engraving.