Gerard Mercator's great world map of 1569 was condensed into double hemispherical projection by his son Rumold Mercator. Map first appeared in 1587 and was inccluded into his Atlas from 1595 to 1602 editions.
A smaller version of Gerard Mercator's (Elder) large double-hemisphere map, with some changes - it's the original map that was used in the early Mercator's full folio atlases. Without text on the reverse.
Mercator was the first cartographer who make a clear distinction between North America and South America continents.
The engraving is an example of clarity and clearness, with beautiful cursive flourishes to the lettering of the sea titles. Surrounding the hemispheres is a strapwork border - between them at the top is an armillary sphere and at the bottom an elaborate compass rose.